Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Stirrings of Separation

”When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.” - Thomas Jefferson

I have listened to local talk radio for some few years now. Once in a blue moon I would hear a caller into the show call for Texas to secede from the Union. They were generally dismissed. In the last two days, though, I have heard calls for secession three times from callers. More than that, several callers have wanted a movement for civil disobendiance in opposition to what they call "the socialist garbage being crammed down our throats".

There are angry people out here. I recall that Tim McVay sat outside the Branch Davidian compound as the FBI screwed that operation up, culminating in the deaths of around 80 people, many being children. He went on to blow up the Oklahoma Federal Building. Anger drives people to do irrational things.

The country is more divided than it has been since 1860. I hope Washington is paying attention. I hope Washington cares. I fear they are doing neither until sometihng bad happens. Then I fear they will do even more stupid things that will anger people even more.

Sincerely,

Doc

PS: Firearm and ammunition sales have soared since the election.

7 comments:

Lunamor said...

For people who honestly think stocking up on weapons is going to in any way help this country - go and secede.

Sounds a bit like children who, when their friends aren't acting just how they want, start throwing their toys and hitting other kids.

The Lone Groover said...

Lunamor:

This is Texas, remember?

At leat 100 years of evolution behind the rest of the world ;-P

DrStrangelove said...

Texas unemployment rate is CONSISTENTLY lower than the national average. I'll take our backwards, CAPITALIST, ways, thank you very much.
I didn't say guns were going to help the country (it will keep honest people safer, though). I pointed that out as a symptom of the growing anger in the country. So, those who founded this country were "a bit like children" when they revolted against England? No offense, TLG. That was only slightly before our time. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sadly, it sometimes seems that the only people that the politicians in Washington listen to are other people in Washington.

Lunamor said...

Comparing your secessionists to the leaders of the revolution is unreal.

I believed in the things our revolutionary leaders fought for, because they made sense for EVERYONE (representation for taxation, freedom of religion, local government).

The reasons your secessionists give make sense only for those who agree with them. There's far more to this nation than what can be found in Texas.

DrStrangelove said...

There were those in the American colonies who supported the England against those who supported separation. They were called Tories. They, too, felt there was more offered by England than offered by separation.

gillardia said...

I think I will post when you talk about something else....

Gill