Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Scientist Got Robbed

For those JSers who remember I call my best friend "The Scientist" because, frankly, that is what he is. I think he is a mere dissertation away from his PhD in chemistry (although that may on hold for the moment). He works in a lab analyzing materials used in sensitive electronics.

Last year, he told me he filmed for an early 2009 episode of a Discovery Channel show called "Treasure Quest". He was asked to analyze this material that was found in a sunken ship. He said they filmed him doing the analysis, talking about the steps he would take, and the final results. Tonight, the episode aired.

He was on all of two minutes. In addition, all they showed was him in his "clean suit". This outfit is used in labs to eliminate contamination of the materials you are working with. It covers you from head to toe. All you could see of him was his blue eyes. He did get to say one short sentence.

My buddy got robbed. Although knowing him I imagine he shifted into his "lecture mode" when filming. He tends to get long-winded when he gets in lecture mode. Still, my buddy was tapped to be on TV. I called after the episode to congratulate him. I was proud of him.

Sincerely,

Doc

5 comments:

The Lone Groover said...

A similar thing happened to my eldest daughter last years.

She got through the first couple of rounds of the X-Factor here in the UK.

They filmed he performing, rehearsing, they even sent a film crew to her hotel for a whole day to film her working.

In the end, she didn't appear on the show at all.

DrStrangelove said...

Oh, I would have been REALLY ticked off if they did that to my daughter! Sorry about that, Andy.

Dorrie said...

that's show biz! I had a film crew filming with me for 2 whole days... in the end, it was a 5 minute appearance (on a German docu thingy).

want an autograph? *wink*

gillardia said...

Sorry his appearance was cut short, Sweetheart.

Gill

gillardia said...

P.S. Yeah, I'm late.... I never seem to get on here anymore..