Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Associated Press
A 69-year-old Japanese man injured in a traffic accident died after paramedics spent more than an hour negotiating with 14 hospitals before finding one to admit him, a fire department official said Wednesday.
The man, whose bicycle collided with a motorcycle in the western city of Itami, waited at the scene in an ambulance because the hospitals said they could not accept him, citing a lack of specialists, equipment, beds and staff, according to Mitsuhisa Ikemoto.
It was the latest in a string of recent cases in Japan in which patients were denied treatment, underscoring the country's health care woes that include a shortage of doctors.
The man, who suffered head and back injuries, initially showed stable vital signs, but his condition gradually deteriorated. He died from hemorrhagic shock about an hour and half after arriving at the hospital, Ikemoto said.
Ikemoto said the victim might have survived if a hospital would have accepted him more quickly. "I wish hospitals are more willing to take patients, but they have their own reasons, too," he said.
The death prompted the city to issue a directive ordering paramedics to better coordinate with an emergency call center so patients can find a hospital within 15 minutes.
The motorcyclist involved in the Jan. 20 accident was hurt too and was also denied medical care by two hospitals before one accepted him, Ikemoto said. He was recovering from his injuries.
More than 14,000 emergency patients were rejected at least three times by Japanese hospitals before getting treatment in 2007, according to the latest government survey. In the worst case, a woman in her 70s with a breathing problem was rejected 49 times in Tokyo.
According to Wikipedia:
In the Japanese health care system, healthcare services, including free screening examinations for particular diseases, prenatal care, and infectious disease control, are provided by national and local governments. Payment for personal medical services is offered through a universal health care insurance system that provides relative equality of access, with fees set by a government committee. People without insurance through employers can participate in a national health insurance program administered by local governments. Since 1973, all elderly persons have been covered by government-sponsored insurance. Patients are free to select physicians or facilities of their choice.
It is compulsory to be enrolled in a Japanese insurance program if you are a resident of Japan. The two main categories of health insurance are referred to as Kenkō-Hoken 健康保険 ([social] health insurance) and Kokumin-Kenkō-Hoken 国民健康保険 (national health insurance). National health insurance is generally reserved for self-employed people and students, where as social insurance is normally for corporate employees.
Boy, I just can not WAIT for universal healthcare in the U.S. All that time I will spend driving around town seeing the sights while looking for a doctor who can take me or my kids. Spending hours getting to know people while I wait to be treated. It will just be a worker's paradise.
7 comments:
I can't wait for socialized health care - and I'm not being sarcastic. Using isolated cases to prove an entire system is worse than another is a very poor argument. People die waiting for treatment, and during treatment, here too.
I wonder how many Japanese are in the amount of medical debt that Americans are. I wonder how much LESS money is wasted on unneeded pharmaceuticals and treatments there than here.
Let's not worry about things that we don't even know are happening. Nothing is going to change fast.
Gill
I have to agree with Lunamor. One such case does not make a whole system bad. In America so many hospitals are being CLOSED so even if you could afford it, where are you going to go?
And by the way, we already spend HOURS to get treated. The last time my kids' dad went to the ER in severe pain for kidney stones, do you know what the wait was? 7 hours. Luckily it was "only" kidney stones.
Do you know why the wait was 7 hours? I'm willing to bet at least half the people in there were using an ER because they didn't have insurance to see a regular doctor or be seen at an urgent care facility.
"More than 14,000 emergency patients were rejected at least three times by Japanese hospitals before getting treatment in 2007, according to the latest government survey. In the worst case, a woman in her 70s with a breathing problem was rejected 49 times in Tokyo."
That does not sound too isolated to me.
I've been to the ER 3 (or was it four?) times with kidney stones. They got me right in and on pain meds right away. I think he just had a bad ER.
No, he did not have a bad ER. We live in a state where so few people are insured that emergency rooms are used for non-emergencies all the time.
But I guess only people with money deserve good medical care.
How much did yout treatment cost you Doc?
What if you were earling just TOO much to get it for free, but not quite enough to afford to pay privately?
Me, myself and I...the American mantra..........
Post a Comment